[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 06:39:23 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-24 15:34, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
> " If you're really interested you may want to look at PrinceXML which"
>
> Is exactly the wrong mindset. We want someone who has heard about X, puts X into Google, and finds an RFC. (We'll assume it's a well-written RFC that is what he wants.) Unfortunately that search may not get the ideal, the tools page. But let's assume he's lucky and does.

OK, that sounds to me like you're not *that* interested.

> Maybe HTML is what he wants to read online. There's a  link for that. Maybe he wants to print it. He knows that his browser is flaky on printing (*) - but there's a PDF link, that will do. He looks at the text version, but it isn't really offering him anything. Though when reading online it and PDF are similar. (I actually usually read text rather than HTML or PDF online, but that's due to familiarity.)
>
> What he certainly isn't going to do is look at PrinceXML or anything else.
>
> (*) [Off topic.] You say " It may be true that print support isn't a priority anymore for browser developers". Was it ever?

Right now the RFC Editor only provides plain text. Show me how to print
that properly, without additional tools.

tools.ietf.org currently offers additional formats (for people lucky
enough to arrive there). I'm pretty sure this will continue to be the
case, except that it won't be the
paginated-plain-text-converted-to-HTML-or-PDF anymore. But yes, it will
print.

Best regards, Julian