Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 06:28:32 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-24 15:11, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
> Most people do not have the spare effort to consider what they assume will be nitpicking details to, for example, efficiently enable production of HTML. They assume that no one will do something that seriously reduces functionality. They trust people who are involved to do the right things. Same as people working on protocol X don't attend every other protocol Y working group to check nothing bad is happening there.

The HTML will be produced by the RFC Production Center (using tools that
everybody will be able to use for Internet Drafts as well).

> But as you've made it clear nothing is going to change, I'm not sure there's anything more to say.
>
> But I'd be interested if you posted on IETF discuss with a subject line like "Printing RFCs cleanly will no longer be supported" to see how many people realise that's what you are saying. (If it's not what you are saying, which format will allow me to print an RFC without unplanned page breaks in tables or figures, not overly limited to specific tools, and tool settings, to do so?)

Please don't put words in my mouth.

What's true is that the new formats will *in general* not come
pre-paginated, thus page breaks will likely depend on the tools that you
use for printing.

There will be some kind of PDF for sure that is pre-paginated, but there
is no guarantee that page breaks will be manually tuned within that
format (and that's what's happening for today's plain text RFCs).

Best regards, Julian