[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 06:23:35 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-24 15:17, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
> True with regard to that you need a tool to print the current text. But if I have such a tool, what it produces is well-defined.
>
> " It depends on what HTML was generated, and how capable the viewer is." is precisely the worst sort of answer.

The kind of HTML that will be generated depends on what the tool that is
going to be written does. You can provide input to that.

The tool *I* currently use generates nice HTML, and has the information
that is needed for a formatter to properly paginate. It may be true that
print support isn't a priority anymore for browser developers; I can't
change that.

If you're really interested you may want to look at PrinceXML which
*does* support all the paged media related HTML niceties, and has a free
demo (which puts the vendor's logo on the title page).

> The advantage of PDF is it offers the possibility of a solution free of that ambiguity.

With all disadvantages that come with that. But yes, the plan is to
produce PDF as well. It's just not yet clear what it'll look like.

Best regards, Julian