[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 06:12:13 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-24 14:58, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
> Some of us are not always free to choose our tools.

I just gave an example that works for me. Try a different browser if you
want, and if that doesn't work for you then let's find out what needs to
be fixed.

> And with regard to printing HTML suggestion, anything that requires a non-default setting to work is not a good plan. In fact relying on specific viewing tools is not good.

You make it sound as if the current plain text can properly printed
without any specific tools.

> And how does it handle tables and figures? Keeps them together? Or arbitrarily splits them?

It depends on what HTML was generated, and how capable the viewer is.

> Clicking on links doesn't work on paper. And yes, paper still matters.
>
> Agreed, tables split with repeated headings may be right. But that's not the sort of splitting you'll get with freeform text. Do you get it with HTML?

Yes, when done right.

> To say "we've decided to seriously reduce the usefulness of text, but have no idea if there will be a format that satisfies a real need" really isn't good enough.

I didn't say that. I was talking about PDF because you asked.

I personally don't care a lot about PDF, because I'm very happy with the
HTML variant.

> There should be a decision that there needs to be a format or formats (doesn't even have to be the same in all cases)
> - Prints cleanly with a wide range of available tools.

HTML *does* print cleanly, when done right, and that's the intent.

> - Enables use of page numbers to go straight to a page.
> - Enables use of page numbers for reference.
>
> Nothing in Section 3.3 of RFC 6949 contradicts the first of these. I think that it contradicts the other two, if considered as applying to all formats, is bad. (I'm not suggesting all formats need to do these, just one.)

The decision was made to give up on fixed pagination, thus page numbers
will not be usable as unambiguous identifiers anymore. There will be
ways to create paginated print outs with page numbers for those who are
interested, but the page numbers will not be meaningful for the majority
of readers.

Best regards, Julian