[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Dearlove, Christopher (UK) chris.dearlove at baesystems.com
Tue Jun 24 05:58:14 PDT 2014

Some of us are not always free to choose our tools.
And with regard to printing HTML suggestion, anything that requires a non-default setting to work is not a good plan. In fact relying on specific viewing tools is not good.
And how does it handle tables and figures? Keeps them together? Or arbitrarily splits them?

Clicking on links doesn't work on paper. And yes, paper still matters.

Agreed, tables split with repeated headings may be right. But that's not the sort of splitting you'll get with freeform text. Do you get it with HTML?

To say "we've decided to seriously reduce the usefulness of text, but have no idea if there will be a format that satisfies a real need" really isn't good enough.

There should be a decision that there needs to be a format or formats (doesn't even have to be the same in all cases)
- Prints cleanly with a wide range of available tools.
- Enables use of page numbers to go straight to a page.
- Enables use of page numbers for reference.

Nothing in Section 3.3 of RFC 6949 contradicts the first of these. I think that it contradicts the other two, if considered as applying to all formats, is bad. (I'm not suggesting all formats need to do these, just one.)

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687