[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 05:44:41 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-24 14:33, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
> I replied to a newly brought up point, it wasn't me who first introduced the suggestion that paper wasn't important.
>
> Printing PDF works. Printing HTML, no.

Try Firefox, decent HTML (such as
<http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/specs/rfc7230.html>) and set
the scale to 100% (which I believe is not the default).

> Page numbers have two separate issues
> - Page numbers within a document. Useful for going quickly to that page.

To navigate within a document, I click on links.

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6949#section-3.3>

> And there is a third
> - Pages cleanly separated, so one can print without worry about whether e.g. tables are split across pages.

That's IMHO a matter of taste, splitting a table across page boundaries
can be the right thing when the alternative is too much empty space. Of
course table headers need to be repeated.

> With the proposal, text is useless in all these regards. Maybe PDF can do all three jobs. Is that being claimed?

It depends; I don't believe we know what the PDF will look like yet.

> (Section numbers are useful. But if a section runs for more than a page - which is far from unusual - they get difficult to use as a reference.)

Paragraphs can be hyperlinked too (the one tricky thing is how to
discover the links without making the display too intrusive).

Best regards, Julian