Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 04:23:17 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-24 13:04, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
> This does appear to convert plain text from normative to close to useless. At least as the only text version. An unpaginated text version may have uses as a supplementary form rather than a replacement.
>
> Is there going to be a numbered page version with a table of contents with page numbers that I can pick up and print? (PDF?) If so, why not text like that as well?

It is possible to get proper printouts from HTML with page numbers (in
the TOC and in the index), but not from a desktop browser right now (due
to missing CSS paged media support). There will likely be a PDF version
as well.

But keep in mind that the page numbers will depend on output formats, so
there won't be any unambigious "page 5 of rfc xxxx" anymore. Yes, that's
intentional.

> The current RFC Editor process does pagination as a special extra step at the end. It feels like rather than work out how to do that better, it's being thrown out for convenience of the process rather than the users.

It's thrown out because it's in conflict with other goals, namely proper
support for other output devices than paper.

Best regards, Julian