Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jun 21 12:08:58 PDT 2014

On 6/20/14 7:11 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> With the changes to the format for RFCs on the horizon, I've drafted a
> short document to describe the changes in the plain text output. Of
> course, the requirements described are not final until the community has
> discussed the proposal.
>
> Comments welcomed.

I hadn't realized that such a big change to the plain text form was
planned. (I've only been loosely following this work, so maybe I just
didn't pay enough attention.)

The main thing that disturbs me is that with pagination removed it gets
hard to skip to a particular place in a plain text document. There
aren't any links, and with only section numbers in the contents, one
must simply scroll until the section is found. Since section numbers
don't change linearly with the relative position in the document this
can be annoying. (One can also search for section numbers, but that
often isn't quicker.)

I guess that will bias towards reading html or pdf rather than plain
text. Currently I generally prefer the "html'ised" format, which is
pretty much just the plain text with links. (It is still paginated.) If
the plain text isn't paginated then will that format go away, in
preference to the other html format?

These changes may be fine - just requiring some of us to change habits.
But I hadn't realized this was coming.

	Thanks,
	Paul