[rfc-i] Is there a use case for 2119 keyword markup?

Larry Masinter masinter at adobe.com
Sat Jun 21 02:10:17 PDT 2014

I think I left out the use case for 2119 keyword markup, which is:

In more than one case, to generate an initial list of 'features' for interoperability or conformance testing, the group started with a list of every (paragraph containing a) MUST, MAY or SHOULD.  If there were RFC 2119 markup, it would assist with this process.

This isn't a very compelling use case -- unless the RFC is written with this in mind, the results will most likely need clean up -- but it's something I can imagine using with a little XSLT.

I can't imagine mandating this, though -- what makes a valid interop test or report adequate varies widely. And while I can imagine ALLOWING authors to add this kind of markup, well, if we're allowing optional semantic markup to support informal auxiliary processing, there is lots more that might be useful.

So maybe the topic for discussion is "additional semantic markup to support auxiliary informal processing", of which 2119 markup is just one example.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net