[rfc-i] Summary: use case for 2119 markup

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Jun 20 14:37:45 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
> [...]  In my experience dealing
> with implementers who are not close to the IETF, there is a widely
> held belief that "MUST" is not exactly the same thing as "must".  [...]

RFC2119 is widely used and cited outside the RFC streams.  W3C  and
OASIS, for example, often uses it, and I've seen it used in Microsoft
protocol documentation too.  A quick search leads me to think that
IEEE, ANSI, and others also use it.  Non-SDOs also use it.

RFC2119 is -consciously or not- strongly embedded in the world of
specifications, whether by SDOs or otherwise.

I believe RFC2119 is one of the most successful products of the IETF
after TCP/IP.  Probably because it's so... natural seeming, natch.
(And to think that it doesn't even require the use of upper-case!)

Nico