[rfc-i] Summary: use case for 2119 markup

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Jun 20 13:25:57 PDT 2014

> Sorry to prolong the debate but I think Dave and Ted are slightly
> mixing two questions.
>
> Q1: (Heather's question). Should we define markup for magic words
> that have special meaning for a particular RFC stream? For example,
> the IAB stream uses "DECREES" for particularly important edicts
> and the Independent stream uses "RUBBISH" for commentary on
> IETF documents.
>
> Q2: What are the magic words used by the IETF stream and what do
> they mean?
>
> Q1 is an RFC Editor discussion. Q2 is an IETF discussion.

I take your procedural and authority point.

That said, the underlying issue is that this sort of change is a Very
Big Deal

It should go through significant community review, seeking some degree
of consensus, rather than be rather more casually adopted amongst a few
folk having what is otherwise a rather esoteric debate about relatively
minor details.

d/

--
Dave Crocker