[rfc-i] Summary: use case for 2119 markup

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 13:22:58 PDT 2014

On 21/06/2014 05:40, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 6/20/2014 10:37 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
>>  1.  this is actually a process change, and hence should go through the
>>     IETF consensus process
>>  2.  what it would mean to use this markup is not at all clear
>

> +1
>
> This isn't merely a matter of editorial nuance and I strongly suspect
> its effects are not all that well understood.

Sorry to prolong the debate but I think Dave and Ted are slightly
mixing two questions.

Q1: (Heather's question). Should we define markup for magic words
that have special meaning for a particular RFC stream? For example,
the IAB stream uses "DECREES" for particularly important edicts
and the Independent stream uses "RUBBISH" for commentary on
IETF documents.

Q2: What are the magic words used by the IETF stream and what do
they mean?

Q1 is an RFC Editor discussion. Q2 is an IETF discussion.

    Brian