[rfc-i] Is there a use case for 2119 keyword markup?

Fred Baker (fred) fred at cisco.com
Fri Jun 20 08:38:21 PDT 2014

On Jun 18, 2014, at 1:50 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:

> 3.3.1.  Requirement Keywords
>
>   The RFC2119 keywords in the document will be set off with special
>   markup.  They are surrounded with a <span> element containing the CSS
>   class rfc2119.  For example:
>
>   They <span class='rfc2119'>MUST</span> be surrounded
>
> For this to happen, we need to add something to the XML vocabulary as
> well.  Does anyone have a use case where this kind of markup would be
> useful, or is it just a "nice to have, because we can, but not if it
> increases the overall cost of creating RFCs"?

Well, the key question is how it will be used. Does the RFC Editor plan, for example, to create some sort of tool that would pull out the “musts” for display or for incorporation in a place in the document? I’m imagining a PICS pro forma, whether in the same document or a separate one.

If there is no use case, I agree that it seems a little over the top.