[rfc-i] Is there a use case for 2119 keyword markup?

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Fri Jun 20 01:44:40 PDT 2014

On 6/20/14, 9:35 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2014, at 3:11 AM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:
>> So you don't think I should ever have written "this section is INFORMATIVE", nor that <section> could have an attribute to indicate the same?
> If you want to say that a section is informative, you write "this section is informative" at the beginning of the section.   I personally don't like this sort of fiddling, but that's the only way I've seen it done.

It's been done in other ways.  One example is DKIM (&RFC4771 ;-).
Another approach is what was done with host requirements (RFCs 1122 &
1123).  Sometimes we're talking entire sections (typically
Introductions, sometimes "Theory of Operation", or simply
"Discussion").  Anyway, I don't think there's a universally accepted
single Right Way to do this.  That probably works in our favor in this
instance, as different subjects probably require different treatment.

Eliot