[rfc-i] Is there a use case for 2119 keyword markup?

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu Jun 19 12:41:05 PDT 2014

>My instinct is screaming at me that the 2119 words deserve special
>distinguished markup.  The #1 most important semantics of RFCs is the
>normative requirements, what you MUST do to interoperate.  If you’re going
>to apply semantic markup to *anything* it seems like this ought to be the
>top of the list.

If you put the markup around the whole chunk of normative text, that
seems potentially useful.  Just marking MUST seems like being nerdy
for the sake of being nerdy.

I can promise that if you do that, the first time MUST appears in
unmarked upper case, we'll have a meta-argument about whether someone
forgot to add the markup.

R's,
John