[rfc-i] Is there a use case for 2119 keyword markup?

Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Wed Jun 18 21:05:45 PDT 2014

On 6/18/14, 4:50 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> Hello rfc-interest,
>
> A question came up recently regarding whether there were any serious use
> cases around semantically marking up RFC 2119 keywords (when used _as_
> keywords) in the new format.
>
> In the HTML draft, it says:
> 3.3.1.  Requirement Keywords
>
>     The RFC2119 keywords in the document will be set off with special
>     markup.  They are surrounded with a <span> element containing the CSS
>     class rfc2119.  For example:
>
>     They <span class='rfc2119'>MUST</span> be surrounded
>
> For this to happen, we need to add something to the XML vocabulary as
> well.  Does anyone have a use case where this kind of markup would be
> useful, or is it just a "nice to have, because we can, but not if it
> increases the overall cost of creating RFCs"?

I'll give an example of where markup of 2119 keywords has been used
successfully:

The HTTPbis documents that were recently published were written in a
slight variant of the V2 xml2rfc language. If you take a look at
http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-26.xml
you'll find a series of  entity definitions at the top:

   <!ENTITY MAY "<bcp14 xmlns='http://purl.org/net/xml2rfc/ext'>MAY</bcp14>">
   <!ENTITY MUST "<bcp14 xmlns='http://purl.org/net/xml2rfc/ext'>MUST</bcp14>">
   <!ENTITY MUST-NOT "<bcp14 xmlns='http://purl.org/net/xml2rfc/ext'>MUST NOT</bcp14>">
   <!ENTITY OPTIONAL "<bcp14 xmlns='http://purl.org/net/xml2rfc/ext'>OPTIONAL</bcp14>">
   <!ENTITY RECOMMENDED "<bcp14 xmlns='http://purl.org/net/xml2rfc/ext'>RECOMMENDED</bcp14>">
   <!ENTITY REQUIRED "<bcp14 xmlns='http://purl.org/net/xml2rfc/ext'>REQUIRED</bcp14>">
   <!ENTITY SHALL "<bcp14 xmlns='http://purl.org/net/xml2rfc/ext'>SHALL</bcp14>">
   <!ENTITY SHALL-NOT "<bcp14 xmlns='http://purl.org/net/xml2rfc/ext'>SHALL NOT</bcp14>">
   <!ENTITY SHOULD "<bcp14 xmlns='http://purl.org/net/xml2rfc/ext'>SHOULD</bcp14>">
   <!ENTITY SHOULD-NOT "<bcp14 xmlns='http://purl.org/net/xml2rfc/ext'>SHOULD NOT</bcp14>">

Then within the document, the entities &MAY;, &MUST;, etc. are used
wherever the 2119 keywords should be used.

If you look at the author's HTML version of that spec,
http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-26.html, you'll
see that the <bcp14/> extension has rendered the keywords in SMALL CAPS,
which is slightly different than the surrounding text, just enough so
it's obvious that these are the keywords and yet not so much different.

One of the items that is being discussed for the HTML rendering of RFCs
is the ability to replace the CSS with your own CSS. Having the keywords
marked up semantically allows the keywords to be displayed in various
different ways, depending on which CSS has been used. This would allow
us to have tools that help highlight where the 2119-keyed requirements
are located, and otherwise get out of the way. But it DOES require
having the semantic information available within the XML.

     Tony Hansen