[rfc-i] Comments in the canonical RFCs

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Jun 7 13:36:10 PDT 2014

>> That's not possible to automate.  I don't want to add manual editorial
>> > process.  Either we should allow comments in the published version or
>> > disallow them.
> This has been niggling at me. How about allowing:
>
> <!-- EDITOR: the following is a hackish way to get this table to look right! -->
>
> but no comments that are not addressed to EDITOR.

I think you mean "from" the editor?

Generally the problem with entire line of discussion is that it is an
attempt to impose editorial content policies at a syntactic level.

We have an extensive and reasonably robust infrastructure that deals
with the creation of content.  Let's leave matters of content to that
process, rather than assert artificial barriers in something as mundane
as xml comments.  Inline comments are useful.  They can be abused, of
course, but that does not detract from their benefit.

That said, forcing all xml comments to have their content prefaced by
"Editor:" or somesuch seems pretty benign.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking