[rfc-i] <list> brainstorming

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jan 28 08:51:31 PST 2014

On 2014-01-28 17:46, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Yup. Hopefully we can come up with something that solves most of the
>> problems without causing too much breakage.
>
> To start:
>
>   - allow <list> outside <t>

Yes.

>   - introduce a new element for list elements (<lt>, <li>, whatever)
> and distinguish sub-parts of list elements (<dt> and <dd> like
> elements)

Probably.

>   - add a list label element
>   - obviously allow <t> inside list elements (but not definition lists
> definition elements)
>   - allow <t> within <t> (indent) or add a new element for that (and
> maybe also distinguish from blockquote by adding a blockquote element)

No nesting, please. And yes, +1 for blockquote and something that "just
idents".

> That should cover all or almost all of your points.
>
> Also...
>
> Maybe give lists names; if a name is reused start counting the
> second's bullets from the end of the first (hmmm this seems likely
> difficult to implement in XSLT, so maybe not).

We already have
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-xml2rfc-latest.html#element.list.attribute.counter>.

> Being able to cross-reference list elements would be nice, but now
> we're getting into wishlist territory.

You can do that already, however the processors are somewhat limited in
what text they can generate (see testcases in vocabulary/research/...).

Best regards, Julian