[rfc-i] <list> brainstorming

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jan 28 08:10:11 PST 2014

I just spent some time working on
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-xml2rfc-04.html#element.list>,
and here are a few thoughts:

1) We need list items that span paragraphs (there's the <lt> proposal
out there that was discussed on xml2rfc some time ago).

2) Lists are block elements, not flow elements. They should be usable
outside <t>.

3) Abusing lists to generate indented paragraphs is awful. If we want
indented paragraphs, then those should have their own element.

4) Limited control over labels. For "letters" and "numbers" for nested
lists we rely on heuristics that are not well documented and
implemented. We also do not support different numbering styles (HTML
lists for instance support roman numerals...). For "symbols" there's an
undocumented PI that some processors support. We should clean this up,
stealing the good parts from HTML/CSS.

5) Text content in attributes (hangText attribute) is bad.

6) Mixing label style with content (format attribute) is bad.

7) Missing list style "dictionary" (similar to "hanging", but with the
actual text always starting on a new line).

Best regards, Julian