[rfc-i] finding the union of multiple documents (was Re: Problem with new Note Well)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Jan 27 14:04:30 PST 2014

On 1/27/2014 1:50 PM, George, Wes wrote:
> Why should IETF engineers get special treatment over anyone trying to
> implement an IETF standard? This is a much larger problem that exists for
> many of IETF’s documents that have been partially updated by subsequent
> documents rather than completely replaced/obsoleted by a BIS version.

I'll encourage avoiding this bit of scope-creep.  As with most such
cases, it's not that the point is not valid.  It's valid.  And pursuing
simplification is a worth goal.

But it's also a much, much larger task.

In addition, application of IETF IPR requirements by participants, in
real-time, is an entirely different behavioral demand, from what a
programmer needs to do in the much more casual pace of working "offline".

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking