[rfc-i] for v3: attribute for author to display multiple initials

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Jan 22 14:20:23 PST 2014

On Jan 22, 2014, at 1:38 PM, Alice Russo <arusso at amsl.com> wrote:

> If an author wants multiple initials to appear in the output, there's currently a PI multiple-initials [1] that defaults to "no" and has some issues [2].
>
> I suggest changing this to an attribute (that defaults to display of a single initial). For example:
>
>   <author initials='J. A' surname="Doe" fullname="John A. Doe" mult-initials="yes">
>       <organization/>
>   </author>
>
> to yield "J. A. Doe" in the header; "Doe, J. A." in refs typically.
>

>   <author initials='JKL' surname="Doe" fullname="John Doe">
>       <organization/>
>   </author>
>
> to yield "J. Doe" in the header; "Doe, J." in refs typically.

Counter-proposal: leave the grammar as-is and fix the description of the "initials" attribute. Make it clear what a processor should do in the following cases:
- Single alphabetic character
- Single alphabetic character followed by a period
- Multiple characters, ending with a period
- Multiple characters, not ending with a period

Would this meet your requirements?

--Paul Hoffman