[rfc-i] postal addresses, Remove some requirements on element order

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 15:52:35 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <
rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:

> >> I've occasionally found them useful, but only by cutting and pasting
> >> the whole thing so I could mail something to someone.  The internal
> >> structure didn't matter.

> >> Well, yes, but the current XML matches real addresses so poorly that
> >> it'd probably be easier to do the data mining from the text block.
> >> I don't see anyone arguing that addresses shouldn't be inside <address>.
> >
> > I suppose we can continue to allow it, but as others have mentioned, the
> > utility is dubious. When I had a separate business address I was ok with
> > including it. But since I work from home I am no longer willing to put
> > more anything more detailed than locale (city, state, and country). And
> > when I included a business address, it had a habit of changing often
> > enough to rapidly become useless.
> >
> > There is potential conflict here:
> >
> > For those of us who are only indicating locale, a canonical format is
> > useful. But when the goal is to provide a working postal address then a
> > regionally appropriate format is needed.
> >
> > Frankly, it would be more useful to me to include a time zone than a
> > postal address.
> >

> I'm definitely not hearing a great deal of support (make that, any
> support whatsoever) from the community regarding the inclusion of postal
> addresses in the Authors' Addresses section.  The draft of the revised
> style guide does have postal address as optional, but if there is truly
> no value here, then I'm not entirely opposed to dropping this.  I'm
> meeting with the RFC Production Center next week and we will discuss
> whether the editors find any reasonable value in this.

Thats not the only place the address element is used. I can't remember
offfhand all the other uses but it is certainly used for authors in
references and I think for other parts of the references.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/