[rfc-i] postal addresses, Remove some requirements on element order

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Fri Jan 10 15:20:38 PST 2014

On 1/6/14 10:42 AM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> On 1/6/14 12:31 PM, John Levine wrote:
>>> locale).  RFC/I-D author postal addresses have rarely ever been
>>> helpful, perhaps not really helpful for more than 20 years.
>>
>> I've occasionally found them useful, but only by cutting and pasting
>> the whole thing so I could mail something to someone.  The internal
>> structure didn't matter.

>> Well, yes, but the current XML matches real addresses so poorly that
>> it'd probably be easier to do the data mining from the text block.
>> I don't see anyone arguing that addresses shouldn't be inside <address>.
>
> I suppose we can continue to allow it, but as others have mentioned, the
> utility is dubious. When I had a separate business address I was ok with
> including it. But since I work from home I am no longer willing to put
> more anything more detailed than locale (city, state, and country). And
> when I included a business address, it had a habit of changing often
> enough to rapidly become useless.
>
> There is potential conflict here:
>
> For those of us who are only indicating locale, a canonical format is
> useful. But when the goal is to provide a working postal address then a
> regionally appropriate format is needed.
>
> Frankly, it would be more useful to me to include a time zone than a
> postal address.

I'm definitely not hearing a great deal of support (make that, any
support whatsoever) from the community regarding the inclusion of postal
addresses in the Authors' Addresses section.  The draft of the revised
style guide does have postal address as optional, but if there is truly
no value here, then I'm not entirely opposed to dropping this.  I'm
meeting with the RFC Production Center next week and we will discuss
whether the editors find any reasonable value in this.

-Heather