[rfc-i] Should Figures be allowed to float?

Jim Schaad ietf at augustcellars.com
Fri Jan 10 11:10:19 PST 2014

Let me be clear, when I am talking about floating, I am not talking about
figures that got to the top or the bottom of a page.  The current move, for
better or worse, is to move away from paged formats so that is not something
that makes sense in the current context.  Instead I am talking about figures
which are not full width of the display page and can move up and down next
to and around text so that the display is both more dense and so that
pictures and text can appear alongside of each other and not stacked.

To do so does require that that the figure know where in the resulting
document that it needs to go, but that can be relatively easy to cover in a
number of ways.

A figure would be restricted to a paragraph, section or list by default
because that is what the containing element of the figure would be.  It
might be necessary to allow for a container object to be created that has
content but no display area to allow for a figure and an amount of text to
be associated together. But that can generally have some type of generic
association by distance.   That is a figure that is tagged "floating, right,
center" could be placed at its current location in the text, but be placed
on the left margin.  The preceeding and next t element would then be
centered on the figure with wrapping text if that is reasonable, and shoved
to the top and the bottom if the display area is too narrow.

I don't think that there is a huge amount of logic that needs to be created
to deal with this.

Jim