[rfc-i] Should Figures be allowed to float?

Riccardo Bernardini framefritti at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 13:09:56 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Jim Schaad <ietf at augustcellars.com> wrote:
> The current layout rules are all based on the assumption that figures are
> going to be placed in-line in the text and not allowed to float freely and
> allow for the text to flow around them in those cases where it makes sense.
> I have been working on a document where there is a picture and a set of
> steps.  Allowing the step description to flow around the picture of the
> steps would probably improve the reading experience for this document.
>

> Jim

+1 for me.  Maybe I am a little biased because I use LaTeX (where
figures and tables float by default), but I find document with figures
at top or bottom of the page usually more readable than documents
where a figure can have just a couple of lines after it.  In my
experience, the cases where you need to place a figure exactly at some
position are very uncommon.  If I were the Uber-Dictator of RFC
format, I would make them (and tables) floating by default :-)

Riccardo