[rfc-i] [xml2rfc] Current Cacheing behavior for current XML2RFC

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Jan 8 07:27:11 PST 2014

On Jan 8, 2014, at 3:18 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2014-01-08 02:46, Jim Schaad wrote:
>
> I continue to believe is that using out-of-document references simply is a bad idea; it causes all kinds of trouble, such as failures in absence of a network connection, or silent changes that don't get checked properly.
>
> What would be much more useful is to have an automated way to check in-lined references, such as with <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#checking-references> or an xml2rfc-aware variant of id-nits.
>
> That being said, I realize this is a minority opinion :-)

I have been the editor of a document with dozens of in-lined references, and it worked OK after the initial pain.

I have been the editor of a document with many fewer out-of-band references, and got bit on the ass.

I'll join Julian's minority and hope that the community supports it as well.

--Paul Hoffman