[rfc-i] postal addresses, Remove some requirements on element order

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 6 10:42:56 PST 2014

On 1/6/14 12:31 PM, John Levine wrote:
>> locale).  RFC/I-D author postal addresses have rarely ever been
>> helpful, perhaps not really helpful for more than 20 years.
>
> I've occasionally found them useful, but only by cutting and pasting
> the whole thing so I could mail something to someone.  The internal
> structure didn't matter.
>
>>> Well, we could run statistics on the postal addresses of authors :-)
>
> Well, yes, but the current XML matches real addresses so poorly that
> it'd probably be easier to do the data mining from the text block.
> I don't see anyone arguing that addresses shouldn't be inside <address>.

I suppose we can continue to allow it, but as others have mentioned, the
utility is dubious. When I had a separate business address I was ok with
including it. But since I work from home I am no longer willing to put
more anything more detailed than locale (city, state, and country). And
when I included a business address, it had a habit of changing often
enough to rapidly become useless.

There is potential conflict here:

For those of us who are only indicating locale, a canonical format is
useful. But when the goal is to provide a working postal address then a
regionally appropriate format is needed.

Frankly, it would be more useful to me to include a time zone than a
postal address.

	Thanks,
	Paul