[rfc-i] Remove some requirements on element order

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Jan 6 10:03:23 PST 2014

On 2014-01-06 18:26, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> Absolutely none at all.
>
> Ignore the ordering of the address elements already in my HTML input
> format and I plan to do the same with the markdown style variant.
>

> But I am rather worried by the suggestion that the specification is
> defined by the tool behavior rather than the schema. Like most people
> writing XML using tools, I generate the code to parse XML2RFC from the
> DTD (via the schema). So if there is any change to the ordering
> requirements this has to be effected through the DTD, not some words in
> the text.

The current DTD has:

   <!ELEMENT postal      (street+,(city|region|code|country)*)>

So you can specify the non-street parts in any order you want, and in
XML by default ordering *is* significant. I don't even know how to
specify the other way around in a DTD. Can you?

> Similarly, suggestions to make the text interpretation sensitive to
> linefeeds etc. ignores some very fundamental principles of XML that
> simply can't be supported with code generated from XML tools

Sorry? I have no idea what you're talking about.

> Not that you said this, but others sure seemed to.
>

> If you are going to use XML then use XML, otherwise you are just hitting
> your head against a brick wall without seeing any of the benefit.

Absolutely.

Best regards, Julian