[rfc-i] Remove some requirements on element order

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Thu Jan 2 10:15:43 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
> What I had on my mind is something like:
>
> <postal>
> </postal>
>
> <addressline> would indicate that the contents is to be formatted as a
> single line, and that order and whitespace inside is significant. But maybe
> what we have is simply good enough.

WFM.

> I've seen at least one case where the RSE tried the postal address to hunt
> down an author during AUTH48.

That must have been a long AUTH48...  You say "tried"... are you
saying that the attempt failed?  Anyways, that's what I'd expect.

>> problem I've had w.r.t. author address/contact information has been
>> changing e-mail addresses, so perhaps RFC authors should get a
>> forwarding address at suitable RFC-Editor or IETF domain (e.g.,
>> rfc7000-authors at rfc-editor.org, just like we get for I-D authors
>> @ietf.org already).
>
> That doesn't help if people don't care enough to update that information...

But it does help if they do care enough, whereas not having this
doesn't help even if they do care enough.  Seems like a win to me, and
we already have it for I-Ds.

Nico