[rfc-i] Remove some requirements on element order

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Thu Jan 2 09:16:56 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:19 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
> Proposal: document that the element order is irrelevant, but think about
> something new that might address the original use case (properly formatted
> postal addresses).

+1.

One possibility is a new element to describe the order in which the
others are to be taken -- that strikes me as odd.  Another would be to
use a single element with pre-formatted address text, or multiple
nodes denoting nothing more than "this on a line by itself in the
order in which it appears".  I can also imagine an element indicating
the sort of address the address is, allowing a database of address
formatting instructions to be used (this strikes me as far too
complex).

Another possibility is to dispense with proper postal addresses
completely, instead documenting only the most general facts about
author location that are of potential use to RFC readers: e.g., city,
country, timezone, things that are useful when arranging meetings.
I've yet to receive postal mail about any I-Ds or RFCs that I've
authored, but I have received e-mail.  In fact, the most serious
problem I've had w.r.t. author address/contact information has been
changing e-mail addresses, so perhaps RFC authors should get a
forwarding address at suitable RFC-Editor or IETF domain (e.g.,
rfc7000-authors at rfc-editor.org, just like we get for I-D authors
@ietf.org already).

Nico