[rfc-i] Publishing more formats before the cutoff

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Feb 28 08:24:29 PST 2014

On Feb 28, 2014, at 8:03 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> I was talking about pre-cutover RFCs for which we do have "good" XML source (in that when processed we get something identical or close to identical to the published plain text).

That was completely unclear from what you said. The thread you commented in was about two questions in the FAQ that are about what happens *after* the cutoff.

> My proposal was to publish those, alongside with their HTML/PDF versions.
>
> Heather didn't like that, so my revised proposal was to keep the XML, and just publish the HTML.

I suspect Heather had the same problem I did: we thought you were talking about the topic in the thread, not proposing what to do before the cutoff.

> And yes, the archived XML of published RFCs already is available on request, and nobody has suggested to change that.

Right.

So, I think it is just fine for the RFC Editor to start to publish non-canonical versions of the XML and HTML before the cutoff: in fact, doing so would probably help the community be more prepared for the cutoff.

--Paul Hoffman