[rfc-i] comments on "Format FAQ"

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Thu Feb 27 07:18:18 PST 2014

On 2/26/14 10:30 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2014-02-26 23:31, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>> A new version is posted: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/FormatFAQ.html
>>
>> -Heather
>
>> "Will you republish any RFCs in the new Canonical format?"
>>
>>     No. No changes will be made to already-published RFCs.
>
> I still believe we should in those cases where we can.

I believe that if we start messing with already-published documents, we
would undermine the whole principle of RFCs not changing once published.
 Granted, we would not be touching the canonical version (the .txt) of
those older RFCs, but I think we would find it difficult to make clear
that the .txt is the canonical version for those RFCs, not the xml we
would have to clean up and use to create the newer style publication
formats.

-Heather