[rfc-i] On blockquotes and notes for v3

Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Tue Feb 25 09:50:14 PST 2014

On 2/25/14, 12:16 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:
>
>> I didn't say you'd have to do that.  I want to be able to do this:
>>
>> <section ...>
>>    <t>This is a paragraph.</>
>>    <t>Blah blah
>>      <t>Indented stuff</>
>>    more blah blah</>
>> </section>
>>
> I strongly dislike <t>-in-<t> to indicate indentation. That breaks the semantics of "this is a paragraph".
>
>> I don't want to have an indent="6" or whatever attribute.
> That is not what Tony proposed. He said:
>
> On Feb 23, 2014, at 5:19 PM, Tony Hansen <tony at att.com> wrote:
>
>> Here's an alternative suggestion: provide an "indented" attribute with the values of "left", "right" and "both". It seems both clean and able to provide both types of formatting.

Just a quick note, rereading my suggestion, I can see some room for
confusion. I wasn't thinking of indenting vs outdenting (direction), but
controlling indenting from the sides. Perhaps the attribute values of
"leftside", "rightside" and "bothsides" would have been better names.
Other possibilities (to add outdenting control) would be leftindent,
leftoutdent, rightindent and rightoutdent, and allow multiple values to
be specified. Or possibly left=normal|indent|outdent
right=normal|indent|outdent. There are many ways to crack the egg.

> I agree that "indented" should not take a numeric or size value, just direction.
>
> A more semantic way to do this is to have a <note> element. It's semantic, and people expect notes to be indented from both margins.

There are many types of notes, with lots of possibilities of indenting
of either side, outdenting of either side, and especially the potential
flow of text around it.

BUT we certainly don't need to be able to generate any of them other
than simple indenting on one or both sides.

Is there a way of expressing this in RNG?

     Tony Hansen