[rfc-i] On blockquotes and notes for v3

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Feb 24 10:01:21 PST 2014

On Monday, February 24, 2014, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2014, at 8:40 AM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > I do want an explicit quote/cite mechanism, yes.
> >
> > I'd also like a way to get specific as to what's being cited (RFC1234
> section 2.3, second paragraph; URL fragment) but that's less important.
> >
> > The specifics of what the schema then looks like are less important to
> me.  But yes, what you describe works for me, except I'd rather nest
> t/blockquote elements than indicate indentation as an attribute, and I'd
> really rather not express outdentation as an attribute.
>
> When you say "I'd rather nest t/blockquote elements than indicate
> indentation as an attribute", do you mean that you want <blockquote> to be
> automatically indented and someone cannot use an attribute on <t> to
> indicate indentation? If so, wouldn't that cause

Yes.

> people who want to indent a paragraph like a note to mis-use <blockquote>?
> Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying about what you want from <t>?

No, I want nesting of t and blockquote (since one might quoted someone's
quoting of someone else) to express indentation.  Indentation (and by how
much!) is an output format rendering detail!  Our inputs need to express
semantics (the following is a quote, or the following needs to be
inset/indented/whatever to distinguish it from surrounding text, ...).

I mean to say that indentation (or not) is an aspect of output formatting
that must not be specified in the xml input -- what matters is semantics,
that if one thing is "nested" in another,  that's what needs to be
expressed.  An output format might use a different method of rendering
nesting than indentation -- I probably wouldn't like such a format, but the
whole point of xml2rfc is to express content semantics and not specific
rendering details... with exceptions only because the final rendering
sometimes needs adjustments, so we should keep vspace, and we'll probably
need an indentation adjustment attribute for similar reasons, but people
should mostly write what they mean, not how to display it.

Nico