[rfc-i] On blockquotes and notes for v3

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Feb 24 08:40:03 PST 2014

On Monday, February 24, 2014, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2014, at 7:09 AM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > I agree that we should have a blockquote element.  I thought Paul was
> proposing folding it into the t element, then getting rid of the quote
> style.  I disagree with what I think Paul is proposing.  If I got confused,
> do clarify.
>
> I was indeed proposing that, which is why I was asking the group. Not that
> many people have spoken up, but I think what Nico is proposing is:
>
> - A new <blockquote> element with a "cite" attribute
> - Also adding an "indent" attribute to <t>
> - Getting rid of the "style" and "cite" attributes in <t> that are in the
> current draft

I do want an explicit quote/cite mechanism, yes.

I'd also like a way to get specific as to what's being cited (RFC1234
section 2.3, second paragraph; URL fragment) but that's less important.

The specifics of what the schema then looks like are less important to me.
 But yes, what you describe works for me, except I'd rather nest
t/blockquote elements than indicate indentation as an attribute, and I'd
really rather not express outdentation as an attribute.

Nico