[rfc-i] On blockquotes and notes for v3

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Sun Feb 23 19:56:21 PST 2014

On Sunday, February 23, 2014, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

> Greetings again. Based on earlier requests, in draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-02, I
> added a "style" attribute to <t> whose values are "normal", "blockquote",
> and "note". In HTML, the blockquote element is often used to indicate "a
> paragraph with narrower margins to make it look special"; I have never seen
> anyone other than W3C authors actually put a "cite" attribute in it. HTML
> has no "note" element.
>
> Given that it is not clear that anyone will actually use the blockquote
> style and the cite attribute for anything semantically important, are
> people OK with me removing them, leaving <t> with just the "style"
> attribute? If so, I would change the "style" attribute to have values of
> "normal" (the default) and "indented", so it is clearer that the use of the
> style is for formatting, not semantics. To me, this seems cleaner than
> having authors fake the formatting with things like empty lists and so on.

Why wouldn't one use the blockquote style/whatever?  I would.  I've had
occasion to quote RFCs in my I-Ds, it'd be nice to be able to indicate that
in the quote element.  But i do think you need an "indented" with no
specific reason given for it.  Why can't indented be just. <t> nested in
another?

Nico