[rfc-i] comments on "Format FAQ"

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Wed Feb 19 11:32:41 PST 2014

* Julian Reschke wrote:
>I'd say the Production Center can accept anything the want. If somebody
>submits a UTF-16 plain text, or an XML file using ISO-8859-1, where's
>the problem as long as the Production Center can use it?

It is not necessarily easy to identify mislabeled content and to ensure
documents are properly transcoded, so accepting more legacy encodings is
more work and allows more things to go wrong, for no real benefit. "Send
UTF-8" is a simple, clear, and easily satisfiable policy, and it would
be quite fine to accept no other encodings.