[rfc-i] wrt UTF-8 mandated for submission format (was: comments on "Format FAQ")

=JeffH Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Wed Feb 19 10:24:23 PST 2014

AndrewS noted..

 > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 03:44:30PM +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
 >> Not really? Why does the encoding matter, as long as it is a common
 >> one and declared properly?
 >
 > Not every format has a mechanism to declare the encoding.

yes  (i noted this in my prior msg)

 > I think it was primarily the simplicity of the tools that led to the
 > selection of only UTF-8 for cases where the file can declare.

hm -- in perusing list archives and the FormatFAQ and using search engines,
I don't see where such a decision has been explicitly documented.

 >   Also,
 > if we don't insist on UTF-8 then we'll need to have an argument about
 > BOM and UTF-16, and that would be boring.

ah, yes, that's a consideration.

=JeffH