[rfc-i] Conservatism of change (was: comments on "Format FAQ")

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Feb 19 09:58:20 PST 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 06:53:16PM +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
> I'd say the Production Center can accept anything the want.

Sure.  And I don't want to speak for the RFC Series Editor, but I had
the impression that she wanted a narrowly-constrained set of things to
accept on the grounds that it is always easier to add more varied
options later, than it is to take away an option if that option turns
out to have some undesirable side effects.  Hence a restriction to
just UTF-8.

I think that is a sensible and conservative approach when changing the
format for a document series that is archival.  If it were trivial
within the rules to go back and fix things after production (the way
it is on, say, a web page), then I would probably feel differently.
But for a series where, if you get it wrong, everyone has to live with
the results anyway, it is wisest I think to make a small number of
changes in each iteration.  I believe that's what the current proposal
does.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com