[rfc-i] comments on "Format FAQ"

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Feb 19 09:53:16 PST 2014

On 2014-02-19 18:42, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 03:44:30PM +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Not really? Why does the encoding matter, as long as it is a common
>> one and declared properly?
>
> Not every format has a mechanism to declare the encoding.
>
> I think it was primarily the simplicity of the tools that led to the
> selection of only UTF-8 for cases where the file can declare.  Also,
> if we don't insist on UTF-8 then we'll need to have an argument about
> BOM and UTF-16, and that would be boring.

I'd say the Production Center can accept anything the want. If somebody
submits a UTF-16 plain text, or an XML file using ISO-8859-1, where's
the problem as long as the Production Center can use it?

The only interesting question is encodings in the canonical and the
derived publication formats.

Best regards, Julian