[rfc-i] Proposed way forwards on backward compatibility with v2

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Tue Feb 18 08:28:50 PST 2014

On Feb 18, 2014, at 11:11 AM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Rather than create diagrams in *both* ascii art and a better format, I'm likely to continue to stick to ascii.

The idea is to have an XML representation for things that you are now doing with ASCII art, such that they can be translated both into an ASCII art diagram _and_ into a higher-resolution diagram, which will probably be more readable, _and_ can also be understood by screen readers.   So you would do one thing, and get all three results.

There will likely be diagrams that can only be done by hand, but the hope is that those should be less common than those that can be done automatically.   But if your diagram is too big to fit on a page as ASCII art, it will certainly be easier to read it in the HTML version of the RFC, even if the tool does a good job of chopping it up across pages.