[rfc-i] Proposed way forwards on backward compatibility with v2

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Feb 18 08:23:25 PST 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Rather than create diagrams in *both* ascii art and a better format, I'm
> likely to continue to stick to ascii.
>
> If we allow the diagrams to be provided *only* in a better format that can't
> be automatically rendered in plain text, then the text diff tools will be
> broken. Again this discourages switching.

Well, first, there's the possibility of ASCI->SVG conversion (there's
a couple of suitable converters out there).  There's also the inverse
possibility (though that's harder, I think, considering the
constraints we have).

Speaking of which, it'd be nice if <artwork> could indicate whether
the contents is suitable for ASCII->SVG conversion, or if it contains
SVG, that this could be indicated and the SVG could be embedded as
not-CDATA.

Nico