[rfc-i] The new RFC Style Guide - draft-iab-styleguide

SM sm at resistor.net
Tue Feb 18 07:12:05 PST 2014

Hi Heather,
At 13:40 05-02-2014, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>The I-D of the proposed new RFC Style Guide has been accepted as an IAB
>stream document (see
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-styleguide/ for the current
>version).  I encourage you all to look it over and offer your comments.
>Changes will be considered and, if accepted, incorporated into a new
>draft prior to the official Call for Comments.

In Section 3.3:

   "*  Per CMOS guidelines, the major words in RFC titles and section"

I suggest expanding "CMOS".

In Section 4.1.1:

   "The total number of authors or editors on the first page is generally
    limited to five individuals and their affiliations.  If there is a
    request for more than five authors, the stream manager needs to
    consider if one or two editors should have primary responsibility for
    this document, with the other individuals listed in the Contributors
    or Acknowledgements section."

The above does not fit in a style guide.

In Section 4.8.4:

   "All RFCs that deal with internationalization issues should have a
    section describing those issues;"

That is an IETF Stream policy.  A quick look at the RFCs from that
stream would show that it is not followed in practice. :-)

In Section 4.8.5:

   "All RFCs must contain a section that discusses the security
    considerations relevant to the specification;"

This is also an IETF Stream policy.

Regards,
-sm