[rfc-i] Supporting both ease-of-entry and un-labeled list items in v3

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Feb 17 08:17:07 PST 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
> The problem with that is that what may look easy first may make things
> harder later on. I'll mention the texttable design again; it makes it
> "easier" (for some value of "easy") to type the contents as the author
> doesn't need to provide the row containers. But now we have a format where
> we don't have row containers, and thus no element to attach additional
> information to (like border style information).
>
> A similar problem is the "title" attribute, as opposed to having "title"
> child elements. Less typing, but also a complete lack of extensibility.

And the relation between this and the <li> thing?  Ah, that if we had
an element that previously only permitted text nodes and now we want
to add child elements, then we end up with mixed text nodes and child
elements, at least for a while?  <li> being new, we don't have to
start out with a wart.

Nico