[rfc-i] Supporting both ease-of-entry and un-labeled list items in v3

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Feb 17 07:58:20 PST 2014

On 2014-02-13 18:54, Nico Williams wrote:
> *My* problem with mixing text nodes with block level elements is that
> it complicates any XSLs for manipulating such inputs.  The problem is
> that the code would have to notice that the text nodes (note plural)
> of an <li> are (each) as-if inside a <t>.  This isn't likely to be a
> big deal, so in this case I think we can let ease of use trump
> developer convenience -- assuming that this mixing really is easier to
> use (which Julian argues it's not, and I'm not yet sure).

I agree with that, but it seems that several others over here think that
ease of typing completely trumps implementation considerations.

The problem with that is that what may look easy first may make things
harder later on. I'll mention the texttable design again; it makes it
"easier" (for some value of "easy") to type the contents as the author
doesn't need to provide the row containers. But now we have a format
where we don't have row containers, and thus no element to attach
additional information to (like border style information).

A similar problem is the "title" attribute, as opposed to having "title"
child elements. Less typing, but also a complete lack of extensibility.

Best regards, Julian