[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

Eggert, Lars lars at netapp.com
Mon Feb 17 07:50:23 PST 2014

Hi,

On 2014-2-12, at 16:53, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
> So while DOIs may help a very few, the more productive thing we could do if this were the goal would be to call (or republish) these as 'Transactions on Internet Protocols' or papers in the "Journal of Internet Standards".

Unless that new journal had DOIs, the university folks I referred to would have the same issue.

And, it's not an either-or thing. If spending a modest amount of money solves the immediate problems a few folks have why not do it? We can certainly also do other things that will help folks for whom DOIs don't matter. I doubt there'll be a single fix for all problems here.

Lars