[rfc-i] t/@style

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Sun Feb 16 11:57:05 PST 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>> 2.41.3. 'style' attribute
>>
>>    The style for the paragraph.  Specifying a style will cause a change
>>    in the formatting of the paragraph in the non-canonical formats
>>    generated by a processor.  The default value is "normal".  Other
>>    values are "blockquote" for a block quotation and "note" for regular
>>    text that is meant to be indented from the left margin.
>
> I believe that overloading <t> is the wrong approach. It's a bit similar to
> using spanx/div for everything in HTML, and to delegate styling to CSS.

Strong +1.  As Julian says, if this is needed for blockquotes, then
add a block quote element.

Often there's a need to add emphasis to one or few words.  Style
should be more granular than at the paragraph level.  There should be
no italic, bold, and so on -- just one or more forms of emphasis.

I would also not say that only non-canonical output formats will
display status.  This makes no sense given that we could end up with
HTML as a canonical output format.  And even for text, man pages use
underscore and bold all that time when displayed on a terminal,
something that could conceivably be a display option for text-format
RFCs (no that I'm proposing this!).  Also, we might have a convention
for using delimiting underscores and asterisks to denote emphasis in
truly plain text renderings.  Limit yourself to stating that style may
not be rendered in some cases, and to not specifying *actual* styles.

Nico