[rfc-i] t/@style

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Sun Feb 16 07:50:37 PST 2014

On Feb 16, 2014, at 3:04 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>> 2.41.3. 'style' attribute
>>

>>   The style for the paragraph.  Specifying a style will cause a change
>>   in the formatting of the paragraph in the non-canonical formats
>>   generated by a processor.  The default value is "normal".  Other
>>   values are "blockquote" for a block quotation and "note" for regular
>>   text that is meant to be indented from the left margin.
>
> I believe that overloading <t> is the wrong approach. It's a bit similar to using spanx/div for everything in HTML, and to delegate styling to CSS.
>
> For quotes, it introduces a new "cite" attribute, but this way the grammar allows a set of conflicting attributes (cite, hangText, ...) that are meaningless when combined.
>
> Furthermore, quotes (and notes) can be multi-paragraph, thus should contain <t> elements.
>
> Proposal:
>
> - add <blockquote> (with @cite), holding block level elements

That seems fine.

> - add <note>, holding block level elements

That does in theory, but maybe not in practice. In your v2 draft, you point out that <note> currently is:

2.24.  <note>

   Creates an unnumbered section that appears after the abstract.

   It is usually used for additional information to reviewers (working
   group information, mailing list, ...), or for additional publication
   information such as "IESG Notes".

   This element appears as child element of: <front> (Section 2.19).

   Content model:

   One or more <t> elements (Section 2.38)

Are you proposing that we make a breaking change so that <note> no longer causes a new section be created? That would be fine with me, but it goes against what you have been saying lately about backward-incompatible changes.

> (See <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#ext.element.blockquote> and <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#ext.element.note>.)
>
> We also should check existing XML sources for uses of unstyled lists in order to find what else it's used for.
>
> On:
>
>> 2.41.2. 'cite' attribute
>>

>>   A citation for a block quote.  It is an error to use this attribute
>>   in a <t> element that does not have style="blockquote". *** TBD: is
>>   this meant to be an anchor to a reference, a URL, or free text? ***
>
> Just like in HTML: <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#adef-cite-Q>

Works for me if others agree with the limitation that a citation has to be a URI, but nothing else.

--Paul Hoffman