[rfc-i] t/@style

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sun Feb 16 03:04:41 PST 2014

> 2.41.3. 'style' attribute
>

>    The style for the paragraph.  Specifying a style will cause a change
>    in the formatting of the paragraph in the non-canonical formats
>    generated by a processor.  The default value is "normal".  Other
>    values are "blockquote" for a block quotation and "note" for regular
>    text that is meant to be indented from the left margin.

I believe that overloading <t> is the wrong approach. It's a bit similar
to using spanx/div for everything in HTML, and to delegate styling to CSS.

For quotes, it introduces a new "cite" attribute, but this way the
grammar allows a set of conflicting attributes (cite, hangText, ...)
that are meaningless when combined.

Furthermore, quotes (and notes) can be multi-paragraph, thus should
contain <t> elements.

Proposal:

- add <blockquote> (with @cite), holding block level elements

- add <note>, holding block level elements

(See
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#ext.element.blockquote>
and
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#ext.element.note>.)

We also should check existing XML sources for uses of unstyled lists in
order to find what else it's used for.

On:

> 2.41.2. 'cite' attribute
>

>    A citation for a block quote.  It is an error to use this attribute
>    in a <t> element that does not have style="blockquote". *** TBD: is
>    this meant to be an anchor to a reference, a URL, or free text? ***

Just like in HTML: <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#adef-cite-Q>

Best regards, Julian