[rfc-i] Why? (was Re: For v3: draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-02.txt)

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Feb 14 23:46:23 PST 2014

On 2014-02-15 00:41, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 2/14/2014 3:36 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> Greetings again. I made a handful of more changes to the proposed v3
>> spec.
>>
>> To discuss the new proposed features, please be sure to start a new
>> thread Thanks!
>

> I suggest that the portion of the document that cites what is changed
> also explain why it is deemed worthy.  Why make the change?
>
> The goal is to facilitate review of the underlying rationale, not just
> the technical details.
>
> Changes have costs.  Let's explain they they are being incurred.

In particular, when changes have not been discussed at all. For instance:

>    o  Removed the <vspace> element because it is no longer needed for
>       lists.

It may be true that it's not needed in lists anymore (hopefully), but it
was allowed and used in other places before.

I agree with the goal to address all cases where people currently fall
back to <vspace>, but (a) we're not there yet, and (b) it doesn't
necessarily mean that the element needs to be removed.

Best regards, Julian